Index of Articles


Posted on: January 1st, 2011 by hauleymusic No Comments

January 3I, – Array, Naval Reserve Center, Albany, N.Y.

This was our second annual array, and was an extremely successful event, thanks to newspaper publicity and word of mouth promotion. As a result; the drill hall was full of spectators at 8:00 p.m. The corps was waiting in another building to make an entrance through the large overhead door of the drill hall. Just as we started from one building to another it began to snow. Our spirits were undaunted, however, and our entrance was quite impressive. We then played several tunes, including the Connecticut Competition Piece, Scotland the Brave, and Old Dan Tucker. The drummers played a solo called Swinging Down the Street. Drum Major Bob Mulligan explained a little about the corps and its instruments. After playing a few more tunes, we marched out the way we came in, amid much applause. Upon returning to the hall, we spoke informally to the audience, and answered many questions, especially about our drums. Punch and cookies were served by some of the corps mothers. After sampling these, we began a lively jam session, which the audience thoroughly enjoyed. When the evening came to an end, we all felt that we had made many new friends for fife and drum music and also netted ourselves several future jobs.

February 22, Winter Carnival Parade, Brattleboro, Vt.

We left from the Junior High for Brattleboro in cars driven by Mr. Frueh. Mrs. Frueh, and a rental car driven by Ray Hauley which left from Latham. The fife line included Ray, the Fitzgerald bros., Rick Stewart, Dave Morse, Bob Laraway, and Harlan Ives. Drummers were Chuck Roberts, Buz Olsen, and Bill Frueh. Bob Mulligan was drum major and Magoo served as flag bearer. Also along on this trip were Ray’s date Pat, and Bob Mulligan’s fiancee, Connie. Upon reaching Brattleboro, we changed at the K. of C. HaIl, then went in search of food while waiting for the parade to start. At parade time we formed on the street still covered with snow, but the main parade route was clear. Since this was the middle of winter, the day was cold, but the sun helped to keep us warm. When the parade ended, we all, agreed that it was a good one, as it was quite short, and we got our usual warm reception from the townspeople. We then headed home, with one scheduled stop at Hog Back Mountain ski center, where we watched some people skiing and took a few pictures. There were a few unscheduled stops, as the Frueh’s car was acting up. It did make it home, however, and everyone was home by about 1:00 a.m.

March 17, – St. Patrick’s Day Parade, Albany, N.Y.

Although we were not scheduled to be in this parade, we decided to participate anyway. Instead of our usual uniforms, we wore overcoats with green, white, and orange rosettes on our lapels. The drums were also adorned with three colored ribbons. Bob Mulligan designed a banner containing a harp, shamrocks, and some Irish slogans. This was carried by two recruits, Dave Cohen and Tom Gannon. The corps formed at a spot on Central Avenue where we could watch the parade and fall in at the end. Our fife line consisted of Rick Stewart, the Morse bros., Bob Laraway with Bob Mulligan also playing fife at times. Chuck Roberts and Bill Frueh were the drummers. We attempted to get into the parade in an open place, but we were prevented. Meanwhile, Ray Hauley who had arrived late, was trying to locate the corps, but could not find it. At last we entered the Parade as the last unit, and began playing the Irish tunes in our repertoire, such as Irish Reel and Patty O’Toole. Halfway through the parade we were joined by Buz Olsen and Greg Warner (Magoo), who had been marching with the Naval Reserves. Despite the rainy weather and the severe wind (which nearly took away our banner and the boys who carried it), our spirits were still high at the end of the parade. As we broke up, most members headed for Bob Mulligan’s apartment, for some Irish music and cheer.

April 13, – Concert Masonic Hall, Albany, N.Y.

This was the first job coming as a result ot the Array in January. It was also a type of audition, since it could lead to a parade job in September if we performed well. We arrived at the hall early, so we had a jam session while waiting for the Masonic meeting to be over. When the Masons entered the dining hall, where we were in formation, we played Kingdom Coming, the Conn. Comp. Piece, Scotland the Brave, a short drum solo into Yankee Doodle. Bob Mulligan explained a little about the corps and its music. The Star Spangled Banner finished the program. The Masons were very impressed and many of them took our address to pass on to other groups. We were given assurance of the parade in the fall, and also for the next year. After talking to the Masons for a few minutes, the corps joined them in partaking of sandwiches and soda. After leaving the hall, we came upon great excitement in
downtown Albany. A man was perched upon the top ledge of the Dewitt Clinton Hotel, threatening to jump. After quickly changing their clothes at Bob Mulligan’s, the group headed back to the scene. Although the man was finally persuaded to come in, this climax to the evening was certainly unusual. Present at this event were fifers Rick Stewart, John Fitzgerald, Baron Fitzgerald, and Dave Morse. Drummers were Buz Olsen, Bill Frueh, and Chuck Roberts. Greg Warner (Magoo) was flag bearer, and Bob Mulligan was drum major. Mr. Frueh and Tom Gannon served as “good will ambassadors.

May 16, – Armed Forces Day Parade Watervliet, N.Y.

This parade was done in appreciation for the use of the Naval Reserve Center as a meeting hall, so we marched with the Albany Naval Reserve unit. There was the usual transportation difficulty with most members squeezing into Bob Morse’s little Saab. Mr. Frueh also drove, but only carried Bill and Buz Olsen and their two drums. The corps was small this time due to a competition for school bands which several boys had to attend. Rick Stewart, the Morse Bros., Baron Fitzgerald. and E.J. Fitzgerald (Baron’s cousin) played fife. Buz and Bill made up the drum line, and Magoo carried the flag. The parade was fairly short, ending at the Watervliet Arsenal. Although the corps was small, we did receive several compliments from the Navy men afterwards, including those who especially liked the slow beat and the ancient style of drumming. We broke up almost immediately and headed home.

May 30, – Memorial Day Parade, Delmar, N.Y.

Because of members marching in school bands, the Memorial Day Parade saw a much smaller corps than usual. There were only four fifers: Ray Hauley, Dave Gregory, Rick Stewart and Baron Fitzgerald. The drum section was the “usual suspects,” with Buz Olsen and Bill Frueh, but without Chuck Roberts until we got to the Memorial Park. Greg Warner (alias Magoo) and Tom Gannon made up the color guard, with Bob Mulligan as major. This year we marched with the Elsmere Fire Dept. however, the day got off to a bad start when we made a wrong turn and lost our place in line. We then had to wait for the rest of the parade to go by before we could get back in; then on things improved. Despite the small corps, we got a fairly good amount of applause along the way. When we reached the park, where we were to participate in Memorial Day ceremonies, we were joined by Chuck Roberts and Harlon Ives, who had changed into their corps uniforms after marching with the school. John Fitzgerald also arrived while ceremonies were in progress, and Bob Morse got there just after they were concluded. As is our usual custom, we played the Connecticut Competition Piece. We received good applause for this also. After the unveiling of our new memorial monument, and the playing of Taps by two buglers, the ceremonies were concluded and the corps dispersed, however, most members then picked up their dates and their supply of food, and liquid refreshments and headed for Thatcher Park, where they enjoyed a picnic complete with singing, playing fifes and drums, and other amusements.

June 14, – Alumni Day Parade, Brattleboro, Vt.

We left from the Junior High for this our second appearance here in 1964. Drivers were Mr. Frueh and Dave Gregory, with Bob Mulligan joining us later. Needless to say, the cars were a little crowded, with 13 members in two cars, but we made the best of it. Dave Gregory’s car was filled with Rick Stewart, Bill Frueh, John Fitzgerald, Greg Warner, Buz Olsen, and Jim Preston making his first appearance with the corps. In the other car were Ray Hauley, Art Allen, Baron Fitzgerald, Bob Laraway, and Chuck Roberts. Entertainment on the way over consisted of songs, jokes, and comments on Gregory’s driving. At least one member was seen to kiss the ground when Dave’s car stopped in the town. Upon our arrival, we changed our clothes and waited for Bob Mulligan. He soon arrived with his sister and her girl friend. While waiting for the parade to begin, we had our usual jam session for which we received some applause. This year we were given the honor of leading the parade, and as we stepped off, the crowd gave us one of the best receptions of our history. The good crowd reception continued throughout the short parade. When the parade ended, we piled into the cars, after changing back to street clothes. The first stop on the way home was Hog Back Mountain, where we got something to eat and drink and looked over the souvenirs and the scenery. We then headed for Bennington, where we marched around the monument playing several tunes, then stood still and played the Downfall and a few other good numbers. This attracted many sightseers who enjoyed the impromptu concert immensely. Two of the cars then left, but Gregory’s group stayed to enjoy a free trip to the top of the monument, Where they again played a couple tunes. When this concert ended, they also headed home.

June 20, – Mulligan’s Party and Swimming Pool Performance, Delmar, N.Y.

The corps met at the Junior High preparing to go to Lake George for a parade. This turned out to be fake, and the basis for a surprise party for Bob Mulligan, who was to be married. We all headed for Ray Hauley’s back yard (33 Nathaniel Blvd., Delmar, N.Y.) where we played many lively tunes and enjoyed hamburgers, soda, and other goodies. Bob Mulligan was presented with a cooler, which looked like a Civil War drum, as a pre-wedding present. This was immediately put to use for cooling the beer and soda. The fun continued until about 2:00 p.m., when we were due to appear at the swimming pool of Kenaware Gardens for opening day ceremonies there. Some members first went home to get their suits, then headed for the pool. Everyone arrived there except for the most important member; snare drummer Chuck Roberts, who was riding with Bob Mulligan. While waiting, the rest of the group had a jam session. Finally, Chuck arrived, along with Bob Laraway and Mully. The car had broken down several times on the way over, so Bob did not stay, but went to get it fixed before it got worse. The corps then formed up, with a fife line of Ray Hauley, Dave Gregory, the Morse bros., the Fitzgerald bros., Bob Laraway, and Harlon Ives. Drummers were Bill Frueh and Chuck Roberts, with Jim Preston carrying the flag. We marched around the pool a few times, then played a few tunes standing still. Although we were well received, the hot weather had a bad effect on our playing and we made several mistakes. After changing into swim suits, we had about a half hour’s worth of swimming and diving before heading home.

July 4, – Parade, Saugerties, N.Y.

We left from the Junior High as usual, but our spirits were dampened by the rainy weather. Cars were driven by Mr. Morse. Mr. Frueh, and Dave Gregory. Upon arriving in the town, we heard a radio report mentioning the corps and also informing the fact that the parade was still on. We were directed to our place in line by Chamber of Commerce members who were in charge. We waited in the cars for the rain to stop, but when it turned to a drizzle we got out and changed one by one into our uniforms. After forming up on the street, we began a jam session until heavier rain forced us to put the drums back in the cars. We got some plastic which we put over the heads of the snare drums to protect them from the dampness. Finally we formed up, and the parade stepped off. Fifers for this parade were Ray Hauley, Dave Gregory, Harlon Ives, Bob Laraway, the Morse Bros., with Greg Warner (Magoo), and Tom Gannon (color guard). Buz Olsen, Chuck Roberts, and Bill Frueh supplied the beat as usual. The drizzle continued throughout most of the parade, but finally it stopped at the very end. Applause was fairly good, and at one point we stopped and played Rally Round, for which we received a nice reception. The parade ended at a local field, where we got something to eat at the refreshment stand, then began our usual jam session. After playing a few corps tunes, we began to work on the pieces we were to use at a church service the next day. We had just begun when a spectator requested us to . ‘ pose for a few pictures. Upon talking to him, we learned that he was very interested in our type of music and had even bought a fife, and was learning to play it. Several of the fifers gave him some tips on getting a good tone. After playing, a few more tunes, we broke up and headed for Delmar in much better spirits than when the day began, as the sun was beginning to come through the rain.

July 5, – Patriotic Service, St. John’s Church, Albany, N.Y.

This performance was part of a special service in Bill Frueh’ s church as an observance of the 4th of July and its historical meaning. The corps learned special music for this, and even went to the church the preceding Thursday for a run-through. We arrived at the church early Sunday morning to again go through our entrance. Before we could do this, however, we had to eject a pigeon which had somehow gotten into the sanctuary of the church. We then got down to the business of rehearsing. The pastor came in and explained the service briefly. The corps then adjourned to the building next door to wait for the beginning of the service. While waiting, we spoke to the Army Commander, who was a special guest, and made friend’s with a few of the girls from the choir. Then our time came. We lined up in the back of the church with: Buz Olsen (drum major), Ray Hauley, Dave Gregory, Bob Morse, and Harlan Ives (fifers) Tom Gannon (color guard), Bill Frueh, and Chuck Roberts (drummers). Before going into the church proper, Chuck and Ray played the official Church Call of the Civil War Army. After this, we entered into the church in a slow march procession, with the ministers and armed forces representatives following to the tune of Belle of the Mohawk Vale. Upon arriving at the front of the church we played the tune America while the congregation sung it. Later in the service, we played a hymn from the Revolutionary War period; Chester, and one from the Civil War; the Abolitionist Hymn. Near the end of the service we played the Star Spangled Banner, again with the congregation singing. After the service, several people come forward to congratulate us on our performance. The group posed for pictures outside the church, then headed for Bill Frueh’s house. They were joined by two girls from the choir. The afternoon was spent in jamming and eating hot dogs, drinking lemonade and beer, and generally having a good time. The party broke up about 3:00 p.m.

July 18, Deep River Muster, Deep River, Conn.

The first car, driven by Mr. Ives with Ray Hauley and Harlan Ives, left for Deep River about I o’clock Friday afternoon. They arrived in the town about four, and proceeded to set up the tent and then went swimming. Around 7:00 p.m. Bob Mulligan arrived, with his wife and sister, and he also set up a tent. About an hour later, the third car, driven by Mr. Frueh with Bill Frueh, Bob Laraway and Tom
Gannon arrived at the field. Dave Weinstock arrived with Chuck Roberts, Rick Stewart, and Dave Morse at 9:00 p.m. After getting unpacked, Dave took the whole group over to the Ship Ahoy Tavern, where a get together of early arrivals was going on. Ray Hauley had been given a ride over earlier with Foxy Carlson of the Deep River Corps. Bob Mulligan and his party also joined the festivities. The group played and partied for a while inside until they were thrown out. The jam session then continued in the parking lot,and eventually returned to Devitt Field. Dave Gregory arrived around 2:30 a.m. with the Fitzgerald bros. Nobody got much sleep, especially Bob Barned, who was on his way up from Virginia. After driving most of the night, he arrived about 4:00 a.m. Unable to sleep with the assortment ot noises at the field, Ray Hauley and Dave Gregory drove to the registration site about five in the morning, where they slept in the car until registration opened. After signing the corps in, they returned to the field. The morning passed quickly, with no sign of the last car to leave form Albany with Bob Morse, Art Allen, Buz Olsen and Bob Mulligan’s uniform. Bill Frueh and Harlan Ives, who had spent the night at a hotel with their parents, joined the corps during the morning. After getting into the uniforms, we ran through. our field pieces a few times, then headed for the school grounds where the parade was to form. There we saw many of our friends from previous years, and soon many lively jam sessions were in progress on the grounds. One by one the groups formed up and started out onto the parade route. When our turn came, the last car had not yet arrived, so we had to march without our drum major. We stepped off to the tune of Irish Reel, and continued with such tunes as Three Hundred Years, Father O’Flynn, and Kinlin’s Reel. Just as we made the last turn heading for Devitt Field we were joined by Bob Morse, Art, and Buz, who had just arrived. They completed the corps, except for drum major, with a total of 16 men in line. We marched into the Devitt Field area playing Katy Hill. By this time, with the sun at its highest point, the temperature had climbed to above 90 and everyone was glad to stop marching, and get something cold to drink. Throughout the afternoon, the group circulated around, talking to their friends in other corps, listening to the performances on the field, and generally having a good time. Our turn came to go on the field about 3:30 in the afternoon. So shortly before that, we formed up. This time we had our drum major, but with a borrowed baton. Buz had forgotten to bring Bob’s from Delmar. We slow marched onto the field playing Chicken Reel, then speeded it up as we came to a halt. We then played the new Arkansas Competition Piece, which was arranged by Dave Gregory and Ray Hauley. While we were on the field, an announcement was made about our August 15th muster in Delmar. We marched off to the tune of Nancy Hanks, getting good applause from the crowd. There were also many compliments afterwards. The field exhibitions continued for some time until all corps had played. Most of the group stayed for the jam session, at night, but the Fruehs and the Ives left, taking Bill, Harlan, and Tom Gannon with them. The remainder of the group sampled the free food at the mess tent, then headed for the beer and jam session at Swedes Hall. This continued on into the night. After the jam session, Bob Morse left with his father and headed’ for Cape Cod. Dave Gregory, along with John Fitzgerald and Buz Olsen headed for the Brodeur’s home, where they spent the night. Bob Barned left for Virginia. Those who were left spent the night in the tents, then had breakfast,and started for home. They stopped at the Riverside Park Competition in Agawam, Mass. to meet Gregory. Once they arrived, they decided they would enter the competition. After changing into their uniforms. the corps participated in the parade at 1:00 p.m. Following this, Ray Hauley, Dave Gregory, Buz Olsen, and Jim Brodeur who was the corps bass drnmmer for the day, entered the individual competition. The corps also entered the competition as a unit. We played Huntington on the field. While waiting for the 7 p.m. awards ceremony, the group tried out the many rides at the amusement area of the park. The corps received three trophies. Besides the corps trophies, Ray and Dave got medals for fifing, and Buz and Jimmy got drum medals.
The group ended the highly successful day, by trying out more of the . amusement rides. After spending some time and money in mid way, the boys headed back to Delmar. Although the weekend had come to an end, the trophies for marching, appearance. and music will serve as a reminder of the time they had. With the scores ot 86 for fifes and 79 for drums, plus scores in the high 90’s for marching and appearance, the boys were filled with new confidence and enthusiasm.

July 15, – Bicentennial Parade, Ticonderoga, N.Y.

Cars left from the Jr. High about 9:30 a.m.. The car driven by Mr. Frueh with Bill and Harlan Ives headed right for Ti, stopping to pick up Tom Gannon on the way. Chuck Roberts, Buz Olsen, Ray Hauley (riding in Mr. Layaway’s car) along with his son, Bob met Dave Weinstock (driver), John Fitzgerald, Rick Stewart, Dave Morse, Art Allen, and “Magoo at the Aunt Jemima Pancake House for breakfast. While eating, the group was joined by Bob MuIIigan and his wife. The Frueh car was first to arrive in the town with the others having more trouble with traffic on the Northway. Everyone finally got there however, and changed into the colonial uniforms. Arriving at our division, we were disappointed to find that the Black Watch Pipe Band had been switched to another division. and the Green Sabers Bugle Corps was in their place. While waiting for the parade to begin, we had our usual jam session, and also managed to convince the girls on the float behind us that our drums could be heard a half mile away. We stepped off shortly after 2:00 p.m., and played almost steadily along the short parade route. Toward the end of the parade, we could begin to smell the paper mill at the other end of town. The parade ended at a field where the special dedication ceremonies were to be held and each unit was to play. While waiting for our turn, we had a few impromptu jam sessions, then listened to the other corps once the ceremonies began. Somehow, the master of ceremonies missed our corps, and the next group played instead. While the speeches continued, Buz Olsen tried unsuccessfully to get us back in the program. When this was found to be impossible, we marched off the field in single file. The group then split up, some heading for home, the rest heading for Fort Ticonderoga. Mr. Frueh and his group, with Buz Olsen added, and Dave Weinstock and his group met at the fort. After looking around the souvenir shop, the group was allowed to tour the fort free. This we did, marching into the fort playing. We marched around both levels of the fort playing Yankee Doodle, Irish Reel, and similar tunes, much to the delight and amazement of the other visitors. After stashing our equipment on the main level, we made a complete tour of the museum areas. When we finished, we again marched around the main level and on out of the fort. It was a fitting thing to be able to play our fifes and drums in the same areas where such music was heard over 200 years ago. The two cars then split up, with Mr. Frueh heading home, while Dave and his group remained in the town to hear the famous Black Watch Pipe Band in concert that night. This they enjoyed very much, and then headed home.

August 1, – Bradford Manor Meet, East Haven, Ct.

This event saw only five members in attendance, but all enjoyed it, nevertheless. Dave Weinstock’s car left the Jr. High with Ray Hauley, Chuck Roberts, Dave Gregory, Buz Olsen, and Art Allen early Saturday morning. They traveled to Holyoke, Mass., thinking that there was to be a competition there. As it turned out, that wasn’t until the next day. They then headed to East Haven, Conn. instead. When they arrived there, they found Ray Brodeur and asked him about getting more men to reach the ten required for competition. Ray’s wife, Mrs. Brodeur, helped them to form a corps, of fifers and drummers from several different units. George Borek was our drum major. The group diid not get onto the field until about 8 p.m. as the junior corps all went first. When they did take the field, all were wearing our uniforms, except one woman who wore a green dress and high heels. The crowd enjoyed the group, especially Drum Major Borek. According to the Connecticut Drummer, (a drum corps newspaper) he was a “howling” success. As the crowd howled at his ill fitting uniform the corps did not make out too badly, however, as they got an overall score for playing of 231. After playing, the group waited for the award ceremony, but did not win anything. After the ceremonies, our group, disappointed somewhat, headed for Delmar.

August 8, – Connecticut. State Meet, Wallingford, Ct.

The first car left the Jr. High Friday night with Dave Gregory driving, and Ray Hauley, Chuck Roberts, Art Allen, and Greg Warner (Magoo), as passengers. They arrived in Cheshire, Conn. about midnight, where they were to stay at the Brodeur home. They finally got to sleep early in the morning, and awoke to enjoy a delicious breakfast. Later in the day, the group was joined in Wallingford by Dave Weinstock, who brought Tom Gannon, the Fitzgerald brothers, Buz Olsen, and Dave Morse. After waiting for some time, the parade began. The corps played Old Saybrook at the reviewing stand. Near the end of the parade, all of the groups massed, as they had done at East Haven the week before. Due to rain, the competition was moved indoors for awhile, with jam sessions in various parts of the building and the competition in the gym. Individuals were held in other rooms of the school. By the time our group was to go on, the rain had stopped and the competition was moved outdoors again. As at East Haven, the corps played Huntington on the field. Then, after marching off, the boys waited for the award ceremony. This time they were successful, winning a beautiful trophy for playing; plus three medals for individuals, won by Ray Hauley for fife, Buz Olsen for snare, and Chuck Roberts for bass drum. The overall score for the corps was 240, an improvement from the week before. After the ceremonies, Dave Weinstock left with his group. but Dave Gregory’s group stayed over night at the Brodeurs again, returning the next day.

August 15. – Delmar Muster, Delmar, N.Y.

After several months of planning, our first attempt at a muster began on Friday (8-14-64).. The first corps was the Nutmeg Volunteers. They arrived about 4 p.m. at St. Thomas Church parking lot, and soon an impromptu jam session began. The sounds of fifes and drums soon attracted Ray Hauley, Bill Frueh, and Art Allen, who took them over to Ryan’s Farm on North Street, where the next day’s jollification would be held. Later on Friday night, our whole corps arrived at the field to make final preparations for the next day. Some members stayed at the field that night, and were awakened along with everyone else, when the boys from Danbury, Conn. arrived (around midnight) and kept yelling at the top of their lungs, “THE REBELS ARE COMING!!!” This group then headed for John Fitzgerald’s house, where they were to sleep. Nobody got much sleep, however, as the merry making lasted most of the night. The next day got off to a bad start, with rain in the early morning, but by 10 a.m. registration had begun, and fifes and drums were beginning to fill the air with sprightly marches and quick steps. Registration was held at the Delmar Fire Hall, and most of the corps gathered there to wait for the parade to step off. Beside our own corps, there were complete corps from Groton (Nutmeg Volunteers) Rhinebeck (Dutch Arms Jr. Corps), Deep River (Deep River Seniors), and representatives from Santa Fe Jr. Corps, Plainville, Germantown, Wethersfield, Col. John Chester, Connecticut Rebels, and the Brodeur family. About noon, the parade stepped off, led by our corps. Half way through the parade route, everyone formed into a massed corps, and marched back playing tunes that most everyone knew. After the parade, everyone headed for the field at the HamagraeI Elementary School, where a review was to be held. There, several lively jam sessions were held, while members of the various corps got acquainted. By the two o’clock starting time, a large crowd had gathered. Ray Hauley’s job was to welcome the people and the corps. Police Chief Peter Fish also welcomed them on behalf of the village of Delmar. The National Anthem was played by our corps, then we took the field for our concert. We slow marched on playing Chicken Reel, followed by Arkansas Competition piece, Connecticut Competition Piece, Northeastern Half-time Drum Solo, and Nancy Hanks as we marched off. We were received extremely well. As were all of the units. The Nutmeg Volunteers then took the field, followed by Deep River, then a composite corps played, made up of members of the Rebels, Col. John Chester, and a few other corps, with one or two of our group helping them out. This was followed by another composite corps featuring the Brodeurs, with a few others in the fife line. As part of their demonstration, Ray and Jimmy Brodeur (father and son respectively), accompanied by Denny Lewis on snare, showed their bass drumming skill in playing the pieces for which they won the Northeastern Championship. After aIl units had played, a massed corps was formed and this proved a fitting finale to the afternoon’s event. While the corps were performing, the audience was able to purchase food and souvenir buttons and posters. They were given information on each unit as it played by Buz Olsen on the P.A. system. After the review, all corps members and their families were invited to attend a jam session and free supper served by mothers of our corps members. This was held at the Ryan Farm on North St., and provided a good chance for fellowship, food, beer, soda, and general good fun. This lasted far into the night, with everyone enjoying themselves immensely. Some of the corps left before midnight and headed home, but many stayed until morning. All agreed this was one of the best events of the year. Our corps for this event was one of the largest of the year, with Bob Mulligan as drum major; fifers: Ray Hauley, Dave Gregory, the Fitzgerald bros., the Morse bros., Dave Weinstock, Harlan Ives, Bob Laraway, drummers: Chuck Roberts, Buz Olsen, Bill Frueh, color guard: Tom Gannon, Art Allen, and Greg Warner (Magoo). Present but not playing were Brit Brown, Dick MacDowell, and E.J. Fitzgerald.

August 16,- Firemen’s Parade, Bennington, Vt.

This event saw the largest corps of the season for a paid parade. A six car caravan left the Jr. High with drivers: Mr. Ives Mr. Frueh, Dave Weinstock, Bob Morse, Bob Mulligan, and Tom Burke of the Germantown Ancients. The fife line consisted of: Tom and Connie Burke, Ray Hauley, Dave Gregory, the Morse bros., the Fitz. bros., Dave Weinstock, Bob Laraway, and Harlan Ives. The drummers were: Buz Olsen, Chuck Roberts, and Bill Frueh. The color guard included: Art Allen, Tom Gannon, and Greg Warner (Magoo). Bob Mulligan served as drum Major once again. We stepped off playing Yankee Doodle, and Old Saybrook at the reviewing stand. We marched onto the field at the end of the parade to the Downfall of Paris. Afterward, we got refreshments, then joined a pipe band that was playing many corps tunes. The fifes and the bagpipes were both in the key of B flat, so it worked out well.
Some of the boys wanted to go to a competition in Springfield Vt. Dave Gregory, John Fitz. and the Burkes managed to get into a group which was putting on an exhibition there and felt it well worth the trip. Dave and Fitz unfortunately, had to hitch hike back to Delmar since the Burkes weren’t going that way.

August 23 – Sante Fe Competition, Holyoke, Ma.

Cars left about 9:00 a.m. with Bob Morse, Dave Gregory, and Dave Weinstock driving. The corps consisted of Ray Hauley, Dave Weinstock, Dave Gregory, the Fitz. bros., the Morse bros., Chuck Roberts, Bill Frueh, Art Allen, Tom Gannon, and Magoo. Driving over was rather treacherous, due to heavy fog. Upon arrival, we met up with Ray Brodeur, who was in charge of the event, and helped him set up the registration tables. We then registered the corps, and then got a bite to eat before the 1:00 p.m. parade. As usual, we met many of our friends from other corps and enjoyed reminiscing about past events including our recent muster in Delmar. Soon it was announced that the parade had been canceled due to the threat of rain. Thus the competition began earlier than scheduled. As we were eighth up, we decided to do some quick practicing before we took the field. We went into the woods and ran through our competition piece, Huntington. When we returned to the field, we received our score sheets which showed our marks in the Connecticut State Meet at Wallingford a few weeks before (playing score – 240 and appearance score – 381). We finally took the field to Old Saybrook, played Huntington on stand, then marched off to Downfall. We did a good job, but had stiff competition, since several other senior ancient corps were in attendance, including Deep River. Soon after the performance, Bill Frueh had to leave because of illness in the family. The rest of the group enjoyed the rides in the amusement area, while Ray Hauley and Dave Gregory entered the individuaI contests for fifers. Late that evening the corps put on an exhibition, along with Ray and Jimmy Brodeur, that was well received. When the awards ceremony began. we were surprised and happy to find that we had won the Senior Ancients division (playing score of 253.33) with Deep River coming in second. In appearance we took a second place trophy (score – 386), being beaten by a small margin by Deep River. Ray Hauley won again in the IndividuaI Ancient Fife class with a score of 96 edging out several others. After the awards, the corps headed home, enjoying their third success of the year In competition.

September 11, – Firemen’s Parade, Norton HiIl, N.Y.

Cars left from the Jr. High as usual, with Mr. Ives, Dave Weinstock, and Bob Morse driving. The corps was small, with Bob Morse, Ray Hauley, Harlan Ives, Dave Morse, and Bob Laraway in the fife line. Bill Frueh and Chuck Roberts were on drums. Tom Gannon and Magoo were in the color guard. Art Allen made his debut as drum major. We arrived in the town of Greenville around noon, where we thought the parade was to begin. Here we ate lunch and waited for the Midway Fire Dept., with whom we were to march. We then heard reports that the parade actually was to start in the town of Norton Hill instead, so we got there in a few minutes and found our group. The parade was slow in getting started, so we had plenty of time to waste. We did this by having impromptu jam sessions, and, watching the antics of the firemen around us, which included setting a small fire in a nearby field. The parade finally got under way with about a three and a half mile route. It ended in the town of Oak Hill In a large field. The last half mile was uphill, which added to the fun. The crowd along the route, was not large, but we were well received by those who did watch. Once we reached the end, we got something to eat, then headed home.

September 11, – Grotto Convention Parade, Elmira, N.Y.

This was the longest distance that the corps traveled all year (almost 200 miles and over four hours each way). Cars left the Jr. High about 7:00 a.m. with drivers BIll Webb, Mr. Frueh and Mr. Laraway. The corps was again small, but the drum line was increased by one with Bill Webb’s return to the corps. Besides Bill, Chuck and Bill Frueh were also on drums, with Bob Laraway, the Morse, bros., Ray Hauley, Harlan Ives, and Rick Stewart on fife. Tom Gannon and Magoo (Greg Warner) marched in the color guard. Art Allen once again majored. The group arrived in Elmira about 12:30 p.m., where they changed their clothes in the hotel where the Grotto members (for whom they were playing) were staying. After getting into our uniforms, we began a lively jam session outside the hotel. This attracted quite a crowd, with many other band members listening. When parade time approached, we marched a little distance down the street where we were to form. We were evidently still not in the right place, as we had to move again, before the parade began. When we finally reached our position, we had to pose for pictures, then we stepped off to Yankee Doodle as usual. This time we played our new Irish Medley going by the reviewing stand, consisting of Irish Reel, Paddy O’Toole, and Father O’Flynn. At the end of the parade, which was fairly short, we were treated to free refreshments by the group from the Albany Grotto who hired us. To show our appreciation, we started a spirited jam session in the food tent, which resulted in many more tickets for free food and drinks, and many nice comments. We finally marched out of the tent and back to the hotel. After changing back to street clothes, we headed back home. The next morning’s Elmira paper carried a story of the parade with a fine picture of the corps headlining it. This along with our excellent performance on the street, prompted the Grotto to invite us to go with them as their band next year to Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. This would be our first chance for an International parade.

September 17. – Firemen’s Parade, Brattleboro, Vt.

This event again saw a small corps, with only five fifers. The cars left the Jr. High shortly before ten, stopping in Albany for Tom Gannon and Magoo (Greg Warner). These two, along with Fred Walsh, a new recruit making his first appearance with the corps, composed the color guard. The fife line consisted of Ray Hauley, Bob Morse, Baron Fitzgerald, Harlan Ives, and Brit Brown, returning after a long absence. Chuck Roberts and Bill Frueh made up the drum line. Art Allen was drum major. We arrived just in time to change into uniforms and proceed to the place where we were to form. The parade went well, with usual good crowd reaction. Old Saybrook was once again, the grandstand piece. The parade ended some distance from the Fire HaIl, so most members returned there on foot, changed into street clothes, and left for home. Bob Morse and his group stayed a while to watch the firematics.

October 10, – Homecoming Parade, State College, Albany, N.Y.

This was the last parade of the 1964 season, and took place on a windy, cold, overcast day. Drivers Mr. Frueh, Ray Hauley, and Bob
Morse. Ray, Bob, and Harlan Ives made up the fife line. Bill Webb, Chuck Roberts, and Bill Frueh were the drum line. Tom Gannon, Fred Walsh, and Dennis Roberts (a new comer), formed the color guard. Art Allen was drum major for the fourth time this season. We formed across from Draper Hall and held a jam session to keep warm. A large group of spectators, including college students seemed to enjoy this. The parade route was only about five blocks long, which was just as well, as the cold was increasing and the wind was giving the color guard some trouble. After the parade, members were glad to get into their cars and warm up. The parade finished just in time, as snow flurries were visible on the way back to Delmar.