Index of Articles


Posted on: September 1st, 2010 by hauleymusic No Comments

***** CORPS HISTORY – 1960 *****

January 17, – Cerebral Palsy Telethon, Washington Ave, Albany, New York.

This was a 24 hour benefit broadcast, featuring such stars as Hans Conried and Sky King. The corps’ part was to provide local talent while phone calls came in pledging money to help cerebral palsy victims. Those attending included. Theresa McLean, Bob Mulligan, Bob Barned, Ray Hauley, Dave Weinstock, William Moore, Bob Tinney, Bob McLean, Buz Olsen, Dave Gregory, Bob Gandler, and Art Allen. (the later three were in the color guard). Robin was of course our twirler, and Ski King used her for an example of why health is so necessary and wonderful, in an effort to make people want to help restore the health of cerebral palsy victims. The corps was well received by everyone, especially by Mr. Conried. We pledged $25 for this worthy cause.

March , – R.P.I. Student Election Campaign Performance.

The following were drivers for this evening event, Ray Hauley, Bob Barned, Bob Mulligan, and Bob McLean. This show turned out to be a real swinging affair, with all the noise and excitement associated with college events. Our main part was to lead members of the school political party around the campus and then into the gym, where the yelling and cheering reached a climax. Following this there was a basketball game between the girls of State Teacher’s College and the boys of R.P.I. After this hilarious game, we marched the group back outdoors, where many started to sing along while partaking the free refreshments being passed out at various stands. After the playing of Granny Competition Piece, we left for Delmar. Dave Gregory played fife for 1st time.

May l, May Day Parade, Albany, New York.

Bob Mulligan was our drum major for the event
(a first), with Robin Ann serving as drum majorette. Playing members were: Theresa McLean, Bob Barned, Ray Hauley, Bob Tinney, Bill Moore, Dave Weinstock, Dave Gregory, Bob McLean, and Buz Olsen. The cold air was the only drawback of this parade. It was especially hard for the fifers, who had difficulty in reaching the high notes. At least the new MacDonough fifes were better than the metal ones we were using before. After weathering the cold air down Washington Ave. to the Capitol, we had the pleasure of walking all the way back to the cars parked uptown. Dear Guardian Mary and The Bells of St. Mary were played throughout this parade.

May 14, – Tulip Festival, Washington Park, Albany, N.Y.

To participate in this event a Sunday rehearsal was necessary. The following Saturday we played in front of a large crowd, just before Julie Kaiser was crowned Tulip Queen. Those attending were: Theresa, the four Bobs (McLean, Barned, Tinney, and Mulligan) , the two Daves (Gregory and Weinstock), Buz Olsen, Bill Moore, and Ray Hauley. As in year’s past, it seemed as if most of our time was spent waiting to go on. It seemed as though the various groups (Dutch dancers etc.) would never finish.

May , – Firemen’s Parade, Rensselaer, New York.

We left from Delmar with more cars than we arrived with. Jack Noll’s jalopy never made it as it stalled before getting out of Delmar. Dave Weinstock had to switch cars, due to the fact that he was needed to play the fife along with Theresa., Ray, Bob Barned (Barney), Dave Gregory and Bill Moore. Bob McLean (Mac) and Buz played drum while “Mully” (Bob Mulligan) majored. Barney, Mac and Mully were drivers. We received $100 from the Ring Fire Dept. for our services. Like most firemen’s parades, the route was long. It wasn’t so bad marching one way, but we ended up doing the parade twice (in order to return to the cars parked back at the beginning). Most ot us didn’t mind, however, as we didn’t have anything better to do. Dave Weinstock felt he did have something better planned though; that being a date with his girl, Joan, (who was back with Jack Noll in the “stalled” car). At any rate Dave was a little P.O. (service term – don’t have to telegraph it), and the result was his immediate unconditional resignation from the corps.

May 30, – Memorial Day Parade, Delmar, New York.

We had the services of Theresa, Ray, Barney, Bob Tinney (Tinsel) Dave Gregory, Bill Moore, Bob McLean, and Buz. Barney and Bill arrived toward the end in band uniforms but aided in supplying more strength in the fife line when we played our annual concert in the park. This parade saw the presence of Shawn McLean. He was dressed in a uniform similar to the rest of the corps, and he was placed in front of us with Robin at the end of the route. Sheila Mulligan took care ot him during most of the parade. Shawn was a little bewildered out there, but seemed to be having a good time, even though he wasn’t too happy in the photo taken by the press. Refreshments followed the parade.

July 11, Firemen’s Field Day Parade, Delmar, New York.

This parade is remembered by the fact that although members saw some of it, they did not march with the corps. Bill Moore marched with the school band again, while Ray Hauley attended a wedding along the route. Carl VanHoesan was home (on leave from the Navy), however, and helped fill in. After this performance, we traveled to Voorheesville for a short gig. We were back at full strength, and also had the services of Bill Frueh, a new recruit who carried the flag. Bill, who was only partially sighted, had some fun bringing the flag onto the stage of the church; as he had to maneuver up a dark stairway leading from the basement.

July 16, – Deep River Muster, Deep River, Connecticut

For the first time, the entire corps traveled to this
little town to celebrate the spirit of fifing and drumming via. this muster. Before making this trip there was considerable discussion pertaining to mode of transportation to be used, with the parents finally “pressuring” Mr. McLean into reinsuring our old bus. This proved to be costly and rather unfortunate, because the bus burned up 8 months later. At the time, however, it seemed like a good idea. This way, one reliable driver could be responsible for the entire corps, rather than several people many of whom would have been, undoubtedly, ‘teen-agers. Our “Mr. Dependable” turned out to be volunteer fireman, Paul Wooden Jr. Ironically, we still had misfortune despite the fact that we weren’t separated. That’s right, instead of traveling in individual cars, we were all “in the same boat,” which seemed to be going the wrong way. At any rate, before reaching our destination, we had the misfortune ot taking a wrong turn, and made a futile attempt to reach Deep River via a ferry. Due to our difficulties, we arrived in the town an hour later. Luckily, things were just getting underway outside of town. The host corps was lining up to start the parade of drum corps through town to Devitt Field. While waiting for the corps to move out, We listened to the Regimentals as they ran through some tricky numbers. Essence of Tampa, Jay Bird, Cincinnati Horn Pipe, and Albany Beef were among their favorites. After eating a sandwich or two, and taking a few pictures, we fell into formation and marched to the ball park with Bob Mulligan and Robin leading the corps. Fifers were: Theresa, Ray, Barney, “Tinsel”, and Dave Gregory. Bob and Buz once again supplied the beat. The color guard consisted Of Gary Binley, Bob Gandler, and Allen Rand. Others members to attend were John Fitzgerald and Bill Frueh. Shawn McLean (then 2 years old), was watched by Sheila Mulligan. He attempted to march with the corps, but ended up behind us, majoring for the Minute Men, who were without a major. Upon arriving at the field, we were unexpectedly greeted by Hans Conried, who was doing summer stock in the area. We had mentioned at the telethon in Jan. that we would like to have him come to Deep River, but none of us really thought his busy schedule would permit it. The rest of the day went much the same as in the past, with the playing of various tunes by all corps (taking place on the ball field). Then at the end of the afternoon, we headed up to the Swedes Hall, where a buffet style dinner was being served by the host corps, and there everyone was jamming it up. During this interval between 8 p.m. and the early hours of morning, we were pretty much on our own. The only thing all members were required to do was to set up tents. Most people avoided this task, however, much to the dislike of Bob McLean. The next morning there was plenty to do. Tents were taken down members were fed, and taken to church. Paul Wooden and his wife were then picked up in the bus by Bob McLean. Paul then took over the driving Chores and headed home.

July 22, 23, 24, – Skirmish, Fort William Henry, Lake George, N.Y.

Following the muster we traveled to this little resort town for a week end of “roughing it” with the boys in “blue and gray”, We lived in tents and ate a combination of cooked food and semi-cooked food. Although we never ran out of supplies, it may be noted that some members could be observed eating downtown in restaurants. Friday night was spent setting up the tents and meeting many of the characters. The next day we marched around the fort in an effort,to attract tourists. We also Participated in a Small parade of the various shooting teams. Then we got in the bus and left for Hoosick Falls for an engagement with the Delmar Firemen. 0n the way down the bus stalled in the center of Glens Falls. It seems that the battery conked out; at any rate most of us had to get out and direct traffic until the problem was taken care of. We arrived late for the parade and had to run to catch up with the firemen. It was at this event that we appeared for the first time in out Civil War uniforms. This actually was just the first stage of a. zouave uniform, to be completed at a later date. It consisted of blue pants, a red shirt, bandana, a CiviI War cap, belt, and gaiters. The reaction over these uniforms was mixed. Most of us took the attitude that they would only be used until we could afford the more elaborate zouave type dress. After finishing the parade, we ate some sandwiches, drank some beverages served at the fairgrounds, and talked with Dave Weinstock, who was now playing for the Hoosick Valley Fife and Drum Corps. After this we went back to the fort and watched the North and South shoot it out in a variety of shooting contests.
After the afternoon contest, there was an awards ceremony in the fort. The South won the entire shoot and most of the individual medals also. There was a Civil War Ball that night; and everyone attending was in period costume. An award was
given to the woman wearing the most authentic dress. A Dixieland Band played music for those who wanted to dance. Afterward, the corps played music for those who wanted to march. Most did, and so the corps led Civil War revelers throughout the fort area to such tunes as Marching Through Georgia, Sherman’s March and Dixie. The Boys in “Blue and Gray” seemed to be enjoying this form of merriment, as their singing could be heard around the lake. Following this, we hit the sack. The next morning we packed up, took the tents down and headed back for Delmar, with memories of an enjoyable weekend. Other activities not mentioned above included: swimming in Lake George, and wrestling with some of the younger shooters.

August 13, – Bennington Battle Day, Bennington, Vermont.

We made this trip in our bus driven by Mr. McLean. Members included Mrs. McLean, Ray Hauley, Carl VanHoesan, Bob Barned, Bob Mulligan, Bob Tinney, Dave Gregory, Hank Jewel, and Buz Olsen. This parade is best remembered for Chester Fife and Drum Corps free appearance. This free appearance made it harder for us to bargain for $100, however, we did get paid, and the boys from Chester explained that they weren’t trying to make it difficult on other organizations; they just enjoyed playing, and didn’t care whether they got paid or not. This is a good attitude to take when you have money. We did enjoy our jam session with Chester following the parade and also discussions with several members.

September 3, – Schaghticoke Fair, Schaghticoke, New York

The following were present Theresa, Barney, Ray, Tinsel, Greg, Carl, Bill Moore (back from his summer camp), Bob McLean, Buz, and Bob Mulligan, our Drum major. Our job was to march the Delmar Firemen around a half mile track. This was an evening parade held after the various contests which went on all afternoon. The reviewing stand was by the grandstands and as we went by we were told to play loud and clear, in order to help the firemen win a trophy for appearance. Following a Iittle trouble concerning Shawn, we left on the bus, with Bob McLean driving. Brit Brown and Ray Hauley stayed as they planned to travel home with Brit’s father, Jim. He left, however, and so after several futile attempts to locate him, the boys left with the Delmar Firemen. They rode on the back of one of the trucks. Ray played his fife for Brit who was still learning. One of the firemen commented later “I was glad to hear that fife, because then I knew they were all right.” Mr. Brown didn’t know where the boys were, however, and so he went back to the fair to look for them. After driving Brit out to his Clarksville home, Ray got a phone call. It was Mr. Brown, who was relieved to learn of the turn of events.

September 10, 11, – Fort Klock Historical Pageant, St. Johnsville, New York.

Sponsored by the Tryon County Muzzle Loaders, this pageant is held annually, and is basically concerned with reliving the Battle of Klock’s Field and other colonial activities. Our corps has supplied the music for this event since 1957. Some of us went Saturday so we could play on both days. Those making the trip included: Bob Mulligan, Ray Hauley, Bob Barned, Dave Gregory, and Buz Olsen. During the day we engaged in the pageant by supplying music and by helping the settlers eat some of the food in the “big Feast” scene. This was no chore for Buz and Ray. That night, we bedded down in the front room of the fort. Although, it was cold outside, we were quite warm, thanks to Buz’s constant stoking of the fire. Unfortunately, none of us got a lot of sleep due to this. The following morning was spent getting breakfast in the caretaker’s house adjacent to the fort. Ray Hauley was delegated to cook for the group, as he had short order experience at his father’s store, and Buz Olsen seemed to do most of the eating, consuming almost a dozen eggs, 11 strips of bacon, a quart of milk and several glasses of juice. It was well after 11 a.m. before the whole group (about 10), including several muzzleloaders, had eaten and cleaned the place up. When other members arrived it was raining, so most of the playing was restricted to the front room of the fort. Bob Barned and Ray Hauley were surprised by the corps which played the tune, “For He’s a Jolly Good Fellow.” This was the boys last event with the corps, as they were leaving for college the following week. Due to the rain , there was no pageant on Sunday. It was postponed to the following Sunday (Sept. 18 ). This was conducted without incident.

October 9, – North Adams Parade, North Adams, Massachusetts.


October 15, Church Bazaar Voorheesville, New York.

This event was held outdoors on a crisp, cool Fall Saturday. The corps paraded through the town several times and on the grounds of the local Methodist Church, where the bazaar was held.

There was a display of rifles and other Civil War pieces sponsored by the corps in an effort to gain members. The only member to be directly effected was Bob Morse, however, since then Bob has brought down his brother, Dave, plus Scott Radley and Greg McGrath. Mr. Frueh (Bill’s Father) acted as a guide.

December 20, – Christmas Caroling and Party, Delmar, New York

After dressing warmly and meeting at the Delmar Fire Hall, we played carols at the 4 – corners and at various homes of clergymen and members. Our hands were frozen by the time we reached the Frueh’s house. Only our bass drummer, Bill Frueh was able to wear gloves. Inside the Frueh house, we warmed up and enjoyed cake and other eats donated by the corps mothers. Mrs. Frueh’s cake with a fife and drum on the top was a favorite. Toward the end of the evening we presented the McLeans with a gift subscription to American Heritage Magazine. This celebration was a fitting climax to the year.